The Client Improves Jeep Safety with Snorkels
There are few things that Jeep Wrangler enthusiasts do such as going off-road in a 4×4 vehicle and driving around in mud and muck. Commonly referred to as “mudding,” this activity may affect the vehicle, if the engine isn’t properly outfitted. To ensure the safety of the vehicle, proper utilization of tires and ground clearance is necessary along with the use of an engine snorkel, which helps ensure the vehicle does not drown when it goes into mud or water.
Crushproof Tubing Company has helped an industry leader to create a rugged and affordable set of snorkels for their clients.
Challenges Faced by the Client /Problem Areas
- Hot and cold cycling: The hose had to handle temperature extremes on a regular basis and sometimes rapidly without cracking or deformation.
- Crush resistance: The client wanted a snorkel that would last after being bumped and abused. It needed to be able to be removed and reinstalled without affecting looks.
- Tear/puncture resistance: It could be subjected to impacts from branches or other pointed objects and needed to bounce back without failure.
- Good flow characteristics: The purpose of the snorkel is to properly aspirate an engine, so flow is important.
- Flexibility to conform to different vehicles: It needed to fit various models with a minimum number of SKUs to keep their costs down.
- Different end diameters to avoid additional adapter costs: By customizing the cuff ends we were able to minimize the need for any further adapter expense.
- UV/Ozone resistance for extreme weathering: The snorkel hose had to be able to handle a scenario where it would be subjected to all day sun exposure in a desert for years on end without cracking.
Crushproof started by getting all their dimensional requirements, which included different end sizes that would require a mold or adapters in most other products but not with Crushproof! Then they listened to what the client needed the snorkel hose to do and determined the appropriate material and construction to get the job done right and on budget.
Once the client was happy with the overall concept, Crushproof created a 3D model and 2D drawing of the proposed part. This ensured that everything was exactly as the client expected. This whole process generally happens the same or next business day from first contact, as it did in this case. The client reviewed and approved the drawing, so the free, custom sample process that Crushproof if famous for was initiated. Just a few days later Crushproof was able to send them a set of production quality samples that they could test out on actual vehicles. The quote was sent along with the samples since Crushproof bases pricing on the sample parts.
The field tests of the snorkel went well, and the client approved the design and sent over an order right away. Crushproof got the parts into production quickly and shipped inside their normal 30-day window.
Quantifiable Results / Client Benefits
The client was pleased and began selling them on their website. They have added another size since the original set to further improve their offering. The Crushproof brand snorkels have allowed the client to offer their customers a unique solution at a great price that was otherwise unavailable to them.
About Crushproof Tubing Company
Founded in 1949 with a goal of making vehicle garages safer by removing carbon monoxide containing exhaust fumes, the company has branched out over the following decades to make hoses and tubes for virtually every major industry on the planet. They are a true “solutions” company, making client challenges their own and being dedicated to thinking outside the box. No project is too big or small for review and neither are their clients, as they deal with start-ups as well as some of the largest businesses in the world. With fast, friendly service; a commitment to ISO9001 quality; free, custom samples; and off-the-shelf pricing for custom products; they lead the way when it comes to finding solutions to complex design problems.